Monday, August 25, 2014

Fan the Flame

So I"m reading. BUT in between I get side-tracked.  And my mind wanders to things like this....


Things I want to do over the next year
1. Learn how to break dance (this includes the move with a jumping handstand)
2. Start to learn another language
3. Rock Climb
4. Learn capoeira
5. Take my friend out to sing on the streets - often
6. Go camping
7. Learn how to cook amazing food and host a dinner party
8. Learn to rap

And naturally this leads to looking up good rap songs and....  I really like this video and song.

Yes, I am a PROcrastinator.  Not proud right now. (but seriously, if you want to see another cool one they have another video called "otherside")

But I have good news!  It is all clicking, slowly -- slowly -- the reason behind the rhyme....the vision behind the confusion.

A little flame is useless in daylight, but when it's placed in total darkness, it shines remarkably bright. Someday these thoughts will become action.  The hours spent reading and writing (and avoiding it), it all matters.  It is legit.  These studies matter, these moments matter, and the place we are in matters.  Who we are matters too.  We are a light brightly shining.

Something amazing about my job is that I speak with alumni in all different stages of life.  People who have just moved, just had a baby, just laid rest to a loved one, just found out about cancer, just defeated cancer, just lost a job or just found one.  Life is unpredictable and the people I speak with would agree that their life did not go as planned; but it is still very good.  At the end of our conversation we get to pray together for the point in life that they are at now - it is something special to be a part of - because for a moment in their busy lives and in between my monotonous missed phone calls and answering machines we get to pause and thank God for what he has done, and is doing, and will do in their lives.  We get to take a deep breath and remember that while much of what we ask is uncontrollable by our standards, nothing is impossible with the love of God.  The lights burn gently on.

I"m up late again, this time, by choice.  The amount of school work is quite terrifying, and I will never again sign up for this many classes.

I can't wait to swim in a lake when I visit Chicago - that or run in the rain.

Aubrey! I will meet her soon!

Dancing in Downtown LA to 90s beats this past weekend

My friend Lauren, is taking a class in Gautemala right now, so cool!

In the call center, we will be featured on fuller letters and envelopes and cards (I am a model! #dreamcometrue) ;)

Taped this on my wall because it matters

.... my life.... the struggle is real

Photo montage - Studies lead to us to use our hands and feet to do something in LA.  READY!!!

Beauty in the little things.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank so much! I really appreciate your comment!

ALISON