Sunday, August 2, 2015

The Discernment Journey: Turkey and India

I've now been in Turkey for over three weeks.


Just to clarify in case I haven't written this before and it hasn't been affirmed by all of the wise people in the world - time flies.  So you better make good use of it.

Over the next 2 months I will be here in Turkey completing my studies while learning about work with refugees.  After the time here, I will continue on to India and spend 3 months traveling to different cities and visiting people while learning about the good work that is done there.  So hold on tightly, this is going to be quite the journey.  Even before coming here, the thought would pass my mind, "Alison, why are you doing this?"  Time will tell.  Over the last two years I have been learning more about the Syrian refugee crisis - the biggest humanitarian crisis in our day.  To date there are currently over 4 million registered Syrian refugees and over 1,800,000 are in Turkey.  There are also refugees that come from Iraq and Iran as a result of war or persecution.  Over the last few weeks I have had the opportunity to meet individuals and families affected by these things.  Because I am in a season of discernment, I am curious about the many ways that God is working around the globe and so we shall see how these journies come together towards next steps after graduate school.

June 14, 2015 
 This past June we  "graduated" but I don't officially gain a masters degree until the end of September once my time in Turkey is done.  
Since the last post I have successfully finished my finals (something I wasn't sure could be accomplished), said goodbye to an AMAZING community of friends in California, and moved all my things back to the Chicago area before stepping on the plane to Istanbul, Turkey.  a LONG flight.

It took me a while to even realize what I was doing, I honestly don't think I even realized that I would be gone for the next six months until I was flying a couple thousand feet above the ground.

Ok - enough rambling.  The interesting stuff.  What is it like here?

Crossing the bosphorus on my first day here
It is really pretty.  There is a bosphorus in the middle of the city which separates the European continent from the Asian continent.  Everyday I am quite literally crossing the continents on a ferry.  The culture is a mix of western and Muslim culture (the call to prayer is going off right now at a nearby mosque - goes off 5 times a day).  Walking around the city I see woman that are fully covered with only their eyes showing, or covered with a scarf covering their hair or, just like me, walking around more modestly yet uncovered, and then there are girls wearing the summer stuff you'll see in the States, shorts, tank tops, summer dresses.  Generally, I am advised not to look at strangers that are men in the eyes as Turkish girls do not do this. I follow the advice.. most of the time, Don't worry mom, I"m safe!  (I"m just kidding though, I don't look at men, making sure you're paying attention)

People love "selfies" here.  I once spent over an hour watching people take selfies at a fountain.  It was fantastic.  The men have certain poses they like to do including a hand on the hip or one leg propped up.  I also had some woman try and do small talk with me, only to realize, I don't speak Turkish.

So -I have been told that I could be Turkish, or Iranian, or Syrian, or Kurdish, or....ya know, I just blend in.  So it has been quite interesting to encounter people speaking to me in another language and I can't understand a thing they're saying, to their surprise, I say "I don't speak Turkish," (in turkish), shrug my shoulders and smile.  Wish I could communicate more.

There is so much more I could write about - for this reason - I will be updating more.

The people I meet are so kind, and the refugees I meet all have unique stories and it is quite amazing to have this privilege to meet them, even if only for a short time.  Just tonight we said goodbye to a guy from Iraq who is from the city of the Old Testament Ninevah - he had to flee his town with his parents because of the war.  He is only 19 years old and in three days, after living here for a little over a year, they will now move to another country for asylum because that is where they are being placed as refugees.  As I showed fascination in his hometown, he continued to tell me about the history of his city and the ways that some people there still remembered Jonah to this day with a special three day fast.

Before this becomes too long.  Here are some photos.  More to come soon, it's getting late and I'm waking up early to run.

Said goodbye to a lot of really good friends - that was rough

This is Claudia - I miss her but am so glad we can keep in touch!

Trying on our gowns before graduation - some amazing people
This is Michelle - She's a wonderful women that I plan to stay in touch with - like many friends that I've made over the past two years.  So grateful.


Ran a race with Lisie 4 days before I left...still running here.  By God's grace, I will stay in shape!!
Grandpa and I.  Lovely breakfast out with the grandparents and Aunt Heidi the day before I left.
This is a cistern in Istanbul that dates back to the Roman Empire.  Water was stored here.

Went on a walk/hike with some people, beautiful trail




A mosque at night



Another Mosque at night.  So many mosques here.  During the call to prayer you can hear quite a few going off




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank so much! I really appreciate your comment!

ALISON