Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Eighteen Years

September 11, 2019.

18 years have passed since the twin towers came crashing down.  18 years since our little middle school eyes in Illinois watched the news during all of our class periods, and tried to understand what was happening.  Many worlds coming together in an awful type of mystery.  My mom says that soon after I asked her why the world turned so bad all of a sudden.  Up until that point, I only knew that history had been rough but hadn't considered the modern day conflicts could still be brewing.  We went on to watch the horror unfold.  My dad kept the news tuned as war was waged in Iraq.  It seemed so distant than. 

In a weird way, today I find myself in the middle east.  Learning more about the people, the culture, the religion, and the deep seated history of conflict that plagues this region.  While there is joy for many, people are still displaced, still trying to figure out how to recover from the aftermath.  Some, are still going through the chaos, it might not be on the daily news, but it is a present reality.

18 years - it's not about us though.  We can't control much of the unfolding can we?  Yet, somehow the worlds collide.  Lately, Michael and I have been asking the question - how do we spend our days this next year?  We are cognizant that this year is a strange one, with flexible roles that have undefined parameters.  We are also aware that how we spend our present days, can impact our future.  Do I choose to go back to full time language?  Will I get to meet with my dear friend to write down her story?  Is this job the right one?  So, rather then get caught in the unknown, as we continue to do the daily task set before us, we also ask the necessary questions that direct our steps.  After all, 18 years ago, none of us could have guessed how the conflicts would unfold and the lives forever changed as a result of it.

Some of my yearly thoughts to share on this pequenito light of mine.  Perhaps no conclusion but just more processing.  A theme on this platform.  In a world so dark, God knows we all need a little bit more light to shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank so much! I really appreciate your comment!

ALISON