Monday, April 29, 2013

5 points for prayer and discernment

At Willow Creek - the church I attend - we are beginning our third week of Celebration of Hope.  Yesterday there was a panel of speakers, the first was Gary Haugen, President of International Justice Mission. ("International Justice Mission is a human rights agency that brings rescue to victims of slavery, sexual exploitation and other forms of violent oppression.") IJM LInk He spoke on the power of prayer.  Towards the end of his speech he gave 5 points to follow - here they are:

1.  Draw close to those who are hurting and open up your heart to love
2.  Do what loves tells you to do
3.  Cry out to God and ask for help
4.  Don't give up
5.  Worship and give thanks

REPEAT

While I was paying attention to what he was saying, my mind was also trying to comprehend the realities that he deals with and has seen daily.  Like most things - I was having a difficult time understanding just HOW MUCH injustice workers at IJM encounter and the horrifying things they must see.  It is so easy to become overwhelmed by all this bad stuff going on, but all it takes are small steps of BIG faith.

this song is cool.....

ANYWAYS, The point of this blog was really just share those points that I wrote on a small piece of paper.  :)

The month of May, which begins in 2 days is the month of PURGE.  I have it written down that way in my calender.  I want to live a simple life, so that I can save for school, or wherever God might lead me.  In other words - I am moving - I have decided.  I do not know where, but it will happen, and it will happen soon.  So the month of May will include trashing, donating, and selling a few of my things.  Should be interesting.

2 Thessalonians 2:16-17
May our Lord Jesus Christ himself and God our Father, who loved us and by his grace gave us eternal encouragement and good hope, encourage your hearts and strengthen you in every good deed and word.


Night driving with music = bliss

Booth about Bolivia at Willow !! ;)

This machine is AMAZING!!!  it cuts paper - they also have a folding machine.   It makes sense that a church of a couple thousand would have a machine like this.  I felt so cool using it!


Some of the proceeds that Willow raises will go towards IJM work in Bolivia!!! How crazy - and sobering.

This Girl - Lisie - will be home again for a day on Friday before leaving for Africa! I am SO excited!

Spring = rain (if it looks trippy to you, that is because the picture is flipped with the reflection up top)

spring = sandals.  I can not tell you how excited I was when this photo was taken.  I wore them everyday in Bolivia and got me so excited to see where they'll take me now!

Spring = sun!

I've put this picture before.  But it touches my heart.  Really.  Have it as my phone background and makes me smile so much.  This is Ariel and his favorite dog, "gaucho."

And to end this - Bri Page is not my friend for a season - she is a lifelong friend.  I am so happy to have her in my life!  :D


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank so much! I really appreciate your comment!

ALISON