Friday, June 15, 2012

I still haven't processed yet where in the world I am

You will never guess what I ate for dinner... Ramon Noodles! That's right, Cochabamba has them too - and I still can't cook..yet. I arrived in Bolivia this morning around 6:30 a.m. and in Cochabamba at 9. I understood that things would be different, but it still hasn't hit home how different. The air smells different, and it's dry and dusty. I am going to have to figure out how to take photos without being obvious or robbed. People get robbed here and apparently it's real tricky, you don't even know you're being robbed when it happens. Upon arrival I met an intern named Lindsey and Katherine. They took me around Cochabamba to visit some places. In order to get around here we use things called trufis...which are basically jammed packed vans or cars that you pay 1.75 bolivianos to ride (25 cents). They drive fast and are kind of intimidating, you have to speak up and say "baja a la esquina" whenever you want to get dropped off. As a directionally challenged human being - this may be difficult because the roads are not gridlocked and are all crazy. Our first stop was at the Nutrition Center where infants stay to gain proper nutrition and be cared after. Some of the babies have parents who leave the babies at the center and visit them as often (or not) as they can and others were abandoned shortly after birth. This was crazy to see - the babies are lying in cribs in rooms on their backs barely moving. I'm assuming they are latent due to their lack of nutrition. I was able to pick them up and try and make them smile sometimes. I am a horrible baby holder - and it was awkward - I will gain practice though. A woman there was with her baby and introduced me to her son, bellmar, kind of like a beautiful ocean, if you translate it. Her baby had issues at birth and she was referred to this place where she has to leave him to gain proper care. She visits everyday to hold her baby boy and was really sweet. I think the shocker for me was when I was talking to her and she just kind of...exposed her breast completely and proceeded to baby feed. My eyes were locked so intensly on her face the entire time, she probably noticed. We stopped more places after but I don't want to make this super long. In the afternoon a group of people from Michigan returned to the guest house, where I am currently staying. 15 people from HOLLAND (weird that's where I went to college) are here until next Friday. I went along with them to see a ministry that serves street kids who sniff glue. I will get back to yall with more on the ministry as I learn more. Basically medical people go and give medications or stitch up wounds that occur. The kids have been described as rough and generally get into fist fights or end up falling from being so high. I am still processing everything. I tried to have conversations with some of the teens in Spanish but it was a little hard to do because they were giggly and spacy. It feels so out of place walking to a group of people with glue bottles up to their nose and to try and talk with them...as a foreigner..from a group of a bunch of foreigners. Out of my comfort zone. There is a bit of a transition occurring here from what I understand. Everything is up in the air. I am an adaptable person...but this is MEGA adaptable/flexible. Please....please....please...I"m not begging or anything...but really please...pray for the team here, and for me. A lot of stuff is happening - if this seems ambiguous to you - it's just as ambiguous to me. I'm gong to steal what Lindsey said she's asked for prayer in...discernment for the team as big decisions are made. Also, will be living out of my suitcases for the next couple days as we have guest here..it's laying in the hallway right now. You have to throw your toilet paper in the trash. I decided to suck up my fear and empty the trashcan...almost gagged but I did it. BRAVE. I'll update more as I can. Can't believe I"m here. I am at peace about being here, but there is so much uncertainty. Thank you for your prayers. Ciao, Alison Garza

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank so much! I really appreciate your comment!

ALISON