Sunday, June 24, 2012

Since the last blog I have slowly been meeting Bolivians - some amazing people

Here are the two teams competing in a food competition.
Last night was a celebration day for Bolivia - they burned fires and partied hard.  I partied hard with the church.  We played games that I have never ever seen before and ate hot dogs.  One of the games I participated in included finding bible passages.  There were two teams of four and we had to find a passage and run to the microphone to read it before the other team.  The losing team would get hit in the head with pillows and have shaving cream sprayed all over them.  We lost quite a bit so I got a lot of shaving cream sprayed on me.  It  took a while to catch on to why in the world people with gorrilla masks were spraying me with white foamie stuff.

We got a ride home last night in an awesome jeep
At this event I met two awesome girls, Nidia and Eliana.  Nidia is from Sucre, Bolivia - from what I've heard a BEAUTIFUL place.  She moved here about a year ago and ..basically...is going to be my new best friend...maybe.  We clicked - it was awesome.  Eliana is her friend from the Amazon - Eliana comes from deep in the Amazon where there are paranas and I forgot all the other animals but basically a ton of wild animals.  She said that a lot of people get really sick there.  Eliana met Nidia through her Uncle, Jorge (of the jungle as he told me) who is a Bolivian doctor.  From what I understood - he has traveled all over to small communities as a doctor.  I am super excited to get to know their stories - so stay tuned for more of that.

The kids showing their photos
Yesterday we visited the orphanage that houses 11 kids.  A group from Michigan was visiting last week and gave each child a backpack with a coloring sheet inside with an "about me" section to send to their church in the States.  The kids completed the coloring sheet while we were there and spent so much time making sure the coloring was good and beautiful.  It was so touching to see how much care they were putting into these colorings.  Every Friday and Saturday we visit the kids and before we leave they have a snack of crackers and pop.  Before eating, they all pray in whispers at the same time.  I can overhear small things in their prayers and it is precious.  Each one of these kids has a different story of how they ended up at the hacienda - and to see God working in their lives is such a blessing. It's the truth.  :)

kids coloring
The kids coloring the pictures

Small things that have happened that deserve a small note.  1.  When I leave the country - my absent mindedness/memory does not improve as I would have hoped.  Yesterday forgot the key so when I got dropped off, almost attempted to climb the wall in but after many rings to the house- someone answered.  I felt so bad.  Yesterday we also took a special trip to buy a cell phone - I forgot my passport/identification so it was a wasted trip.  At least I know where to go.  2. my roommate went to culinary school!!! I think it's God's way of telling me I need to learn how to cook.  I already helped (a little) in making a chicken dish - and by a little - I mean I helped with shopping.  Small steps.  I now know ingredients.
3) Thank you for being my friends...and family.  Before I left I was given a scrapbook with a page completed by friends and family and it really means a lot to me.  I have the scrapbook next to my bed and sometimes at night I'll just go through it before bed.  Thank you.

palm trees everywhere. srange
I'm leaving right now to play soccer!!  Someone at church said he found me a team to play on and so at 5 I am meeting him at the church to go over to play.  It's so weird not having a cell phone and just having to meet people places without having a clue where to go.  Don't worry mom - I"M SAFE! :) hahaha  I"m so nervous about soccer in this high altitude.  We'll see!

I hope this Sunday goes well for everyone.  You're all in my thoughts - that's no lie.

Alison Garza

10 comments:

  1. I updated the comment settings - so just about anyone should be able to comment. If you want to try and add a comment - go for it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alison!
    Glad to hear you are doing so well!
    Everything is so neat and interesting!
    Keep up writing the blog! :)
    Miss You!
    - Melissa R.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. IDK whats with my blog picture - I had a blog with my friend Sarah from SC like a year ago - I must have uploaded that one awhile ago - lol. :)

      Delete
    2. hahaha, i like that blog picture, you should have kept it. You were true to your text about keeping up with it - holla! I'm so glad I got to see you at 5 in the morning before you left :)

      I thought about you today - something artsy came up and I don't quite remember what it was but I was like - oh! Melissa Rasor would like that!

      Delete
  3. well skype sucks! but its good to hear from you in the blog!! :) I've put it on my facebook page as well to share with others :) you are such an entertaining blogger! keep up the good work.
    p.s - your bed = AWESOME. thanks.
    ---Love Lisie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree, with everything you've said. Enjoy the bed - has mom begun to take down all my decorations in the room?

      Delete
  4. Grandpa said that you should tie a key around your neck....I think he meant that you should use a lanyard! He printed off your first entry from Bolivia and brought it along to Micah's grad party and passed it around for people to read. We all check your blog daily. We are thinking of you and praying for your often!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mom. I would tie a key around a neck except that would pin point me as a super street smart person...and I don't want to flaunt that or anything. ;)

      Delete
  5. I love reading about how you are doing! Erin just gave me the link today (since SOMEONE forgot to give me their info before they moved half way around the world!) I'm so happy to read that you seem to be adjusting well. You're in our prayers at bed time! :)

    <3 Melissa A.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Melissa,

      glad Erin gave you the link (thanks erin!) hehe. Tell Mackenzie thank you for praying for me - and I guess thank you to you as well...psh...I guess. :) Ok seriously..thank you. I'm sooo tired tonight - so maybe we you pray tonight if you haven't already ..or whenever you read this..can you pray for good rest and a healthy tummy as well. Hope you're doing well.

      Delete

Thank so much! I really appreciate your comment!

ALISON