Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Fill that Trash Can

I've got a trash can sitting in the middle of my room and I told my mom do not let it move.

One of the shocks of coming home has been the sheer amount of things I own -- many of these things I haven't given thought to in years.  So I have this trash can sitting here because whenever I want to procrastinate (which is often) I throw a bunch of stuff from one section of the room onto the floor and begin to pick through it.  Keep?  Toss? Donate?  Often times I come across "Junk", if you will, that my mind likes to play games with.  It goes a little something like this:

hmmm...Toss.  JUNK.  welllllllllllll wait...keep?....man, I like this...maybe I'll use it in the future...I think because I've seen it now I will definitely use this...

And than the conscious kicks in:

Alison have you used this within the last year?  Aw man, no.  Toss.  Quick, get it out of my sight.

I've gone through the clothes closet twice since I've been home and probably still have at least three more times of weeding to go.  I've finally been able to say goodbye to holey middle school and high school t-shirts.

I like to jokingly tell my mom that I might be moving to another country soon so I have to get rid of a lot - so that is why I have that trash can sitting there - in the middle of the room - to remind me that I"m still not finished with this process.  I"m starting out this year CLEAN - inside and out.  Well, as clean as I can be.

Today I've been listening to Get it Right - by Brendan James - and in my ample free time, hope to learn this on piano.  It's good pump up music to move forward with plans and applications for the next six months of my life.  HOWEVER - If I don't live that long - there is good news!  I have signed up for life insurance.  That means that I am worth a whole lot more and my funeral is going to be awesome!  Apparently the "death-defying" trips I have taken were taken a little too seriously, that and my handsome cousin Caleb Muir has joined the business of life insurance and he's a good salesman.

I feel like I should end this entry.  To recap - put a trash can in the middle of your room and start the new year off right.  If you want a nice funeral, life insurance helps.  ;)
Alison Garza

2 comments:

  1. Hey Alison!
    I can relate so much to this post! I want to downsize, but I just can't because SOMEDAY I may use something. I really need to get over that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey!!! I'm STILL downsizing - and I have gone through that closet at least 3 more times since this entry. haha It's a continual process, but It's getting to the point where I want to have as little as possible. We're young, think of how much junk we're going to acquire!! GOOD TO HEAR FROM YOU!!!!

      Delete

Thank so much! I really appreciate your comment!

ALISON