Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Good Morning,

Yesterday we took a trip hiking up the mountain with the kids from "The Hacienda," the orphanage here.  This time it was us 3 interns and the 9 kids from ages 5 to 14.  When we were all hanging out on Friday we saw a white church up somewhere on the mountain and resolved that we wanted to see it up close and personal.  For whatever reason, when we started our trek, we couldn't see the church.  That might have to do with the fact that we started in a different location.


We let the oldest boys lead us and find pathways.  They loved it.  Sometimes we would be on a trail and other times...nope...we'd be walking through weeds and thorns.  Honestly, I had no clue what we were doing or where we were going but often times they'd ask can we go this way, can we go that way and I'd have to say yes or no.  It reminded me of a time they put me in charge of a group of middle schoolers for a field trip in Chicago.  I had no clue what I was doing but learned to be stern on that trip.  We had extra time at the end to walk along Navy Pier so I had determined that our group would walk to the end and back within 20 minutes.  It was over 80 degrees out and the kids had no water.  I had just finished instructing "Children's Health Improvement Program" which was a summer camp that included work outs - so I think I was used to pushing kids to do something they didn't want to.  These kids complainnnnned and complainnned and were thiiiiirsty (with reason) but we made it.  With 13 kids trailing me, complaining about water, we entered this crowded public pavilian to fill up water bottles.  I would stand at the fountain and fill the bottles and like a sergeant be like, "DONE, go" "FULL, go" "NEXT, go."  I'm normally not that mean but we were on a time crunch and everyone had to get water.  Don't judge me - the kids in Chicago had fun. haha.  Anyways - the difference here was that the kids wanted to be hiking, had water, and there were more adults.  

The descent, we hiked through those trees (see photo below)
Going down the hill was steep at times so the little ones liked to hold a hand while going down - which really makes it more difficult.  At one point I had the smallest boy holding my hand as he walked ahead of me - slipping every which way and using my hand above as balance - is it bad that I was slipping to?  All I could think was - these kids trust us so much - I barely trust myself sometimes - fake confidence in hiking - fake it!  At another point a little girl had to go to the bathroom so I took her to a remote area and let her do her thing and to get back we had to pass through thorns that were pretty tall, so I put her on my back (she wasn't small) and I would trip and jump over the thorn bushes.  "WEEEEE" is what I would hear as we'd be flying in the air down hill.  It is a good thing she couldn't see my face.

The trek started at 10:15 a.m. and ended at around 1 p.m.  Afterwards we watched Lion King by strong request from two of the little ones - that movie is awesome.  The kids loved the scene where Mufasa was talking to Simba alone about the stars at night.  At that moment it dawned on me that Simba, just like these kids, would become an Orphan.  Crazy.

I"m about to get ready for the day - at 10 we will be picking the kids up to visit a slide park - it's a surprise!  I hope that all of you are doing well.

Alison Garza

This morning I'm listening to This Day - Audio Adrenaline

Ok so it is cheesy - but I used to listen to it as a youngin' in the morning time before my feet hit the ground.  Fitting no?
The Group at the Top
More Water for the dogs?  They were so concerned about the dogs getting water


2 comments:

  1. Alison, Thank you for letting us share in your Bolivia experience. I enjoyed this post of your time with the kids from the Frutiar home. I was a member of the Holland group that was down in June. Courtney

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Courtney!

    Thank so much for commenting - it makes me feel special when I get feedback. It was really nice to meet all of you. How is it back in the States? What did you learn from the trip? Feel free to email me - i think it's posted on here but just in case agarza77@gmail.com. :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete

Thank so much! I really appreciate your comment!

ALISON