Monday, July 2, 2012


So begins week three.  Two days ago I moved across Cochabamba to a house in the mountain.  I am now living with a missionary family that has 7 kids - 5 boys and 2 girls.  Another intern (Devon - a girl) and I are sharing a bed in the empleada room in the back of the house.  It's a little cold at night and I've been sleeping with a sweatshirt.  There are a ton of street dogs that take over the town at night and bark like crazy - they're my new sleep music.  WOOF WOOF!  Speaking of animals - I have seen a lot of dogs.  I used to be so scared of dogs but being around animals more has stifled that fear.  Just today I was at a house with baby puppies - the smallest I've ever seen!  I was told that the momma dog doesn't like having puppies - last time she had three...she ate them. NO JOKE.

This past weekend I spent a lot of time with the missionary families.  On Friday we escaped to a little camp in the mountains and just hung out, played soccer, and visited a remote village somewhere yonder - far away.  It was a much needed trip for the families here.  These past few weeks have been filled with uncertainty for many of us here.  Just one week prior to my arrival in Bolivia an investigation was led and as a result Iteams had to make the difficult decision to separate  from the orphanage ministry (IOU Bolivia) based on some financial and liability issues.  I arrived a short three days after the decision was made known to everyone on the team.  Since that time I have witnessed people who have dedicated so much of their lives to this ministry process some heartbreaking things.  The team is in a time of transition and healing.  I knew that there would be uncertainty in coming abroad - but I could not have foreseen all that is happening here now.  
A lot of my time, as mentioned in earlier blogs, is dedicated to learning from other South American/Central American orphanages through interviews.  This research is almost complete!  I will also be working on a community based assessment which will measure the gifts and needs of Cochabamba.



Enough boring explanations.  I just took a hiatus from blogging to hang with Gabby - one of the Ross kids.  She has been with the Ross family since birth and is in the process of adoption.  As an American, you have to live IN Bolivia for two years before you can adopt.  The Ross family will have been here for two years in December.  Gabby is a little bundle of joy - as you can see.





Currently, five of the kids sitting here and listening to Home by Phillip Phillips. (click it!)  Fitting.  I like it a lot. :)  


I hope you are all well. Enjoy the photos.




photo from the small town we visited
Gabby - picking her nose. 


We visited a slide park on Sunday - BIG SLIDE
Some of the interns with some of the missionary fam going down the slide




The lake we took a vacation to for a day.. supa clean no?

New room with Devon
Old room with Devon





  

ALISON GARZA

2 comments:

  1. Alison...I am wondering...Is the Ross family you are living with related to Steve Ross from Florida, Randy Grebe's former missionary pilot to the Bahamas? If so, Pam and I met him while we were visiting in the Bahamas. I am at Pam's right now visiting with Anouchka.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope no connection mamasita..lo siento.

      Mom - these missionary families do dangerous stuff. I thought of you as we were speeding down a mountain with a dead engine - passing semis. :) Just sayin :) Hope you're all well - tell anouchka I saw hi!

      Delete

Thank so much! I really appreciate your comment!

ALISON