Thursday, November 1, 2012

New Projects

I don't quite remember if I shared much about the new projects I'm working on.  Some of my days are spent with the woman in the prison and others are spent with the kids.  Across from the prison is a place called Casa De Amistad.  This week we finally were able to begin soccer practices.  I had originally asked for a good authoritative figure to accompany me at the soccer field, in case the kids don't listen or give me trouble.  I warned them that my ability to discipline in a different language was scant.

However, upon arrival the first day, they sent me off to the field with 10 kids.  10 kids alone - to a field I do not know.  Some went running ahead, others passed the soccer ball IN THE MIDDLE OF THE STREET with cars honking at them.  On the way there, all I could do was pray, "Lord, give me the strength I need to instruct these kids with authority."  Once we all got to the field (about a 15 minute walk) I lined all the kids up and introduced myself as a foreigner.  We did laps around the field, stretched, and began practice.  Working with kids at Orozco Academy has paid off and the kids had no idea how inexperienced I was in this area of COACH.  We are training this next week for a tournament that will be held this upcoming Saturday.  I will be the coach of a girls and boys soccer team.  The kids love playing soccer and are eager to do drills and practice as a team.  Oh yes, to avoid the problem of kids running ahead and kicking soccer balls down the street, I made all of us jog back to the Casa De Amistad as a group - like in the army. :)

Another project I've recently begun is with Manos De Libertad (Free Hands).  This organization helps woman after they exit the prison system.  It involves training in life skills, job preparation  and also gives them the opportunity to be employed in their local restaurant.  They are currently in the process of revamping the program, so in my free time I am creating classes to be held with the woman once a week.  It is a beautiful project - and I am so excited for the opportunity to learn more about the organization as we work together to equip these woman with the skills they need to move forward in life.

My evenings are spent at the computer working on graduate school applications.  It has been difficult to write academically once again, after so many years.  Hopefully I am able to communicate effectively to the admissions office why I am pursuing a graduate degree.  I arrive home tired at night, and have a hard time settling into a hardcore thinking mode.

Tomorrow morning is Dia De Los Muertos so expect some interesting photos in the next entry.  Until next time...adios! :P

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank so much! I really appreciate your comment!

ALISON