Saturday, November 10, 2012

Soccer Tournament

Today was the soccer tournament.  It got me thinking about distractions.  At the end the director thanked me for coming to distract the kids during the day with soccer.  That is the second time that someone has been thankful for distractions.  The first time was in the prison when a mom thanked us for coming to distract them with workshops.  What are we distracting them from?  From the thoughts that hurt, from the worries that pass through their mind, from the moments of silence that make their reality seem endless.  The thoughts that tell them that this will never pass.  One thing that I love about working with the woman and children in the prison system, is their ability to stay positive, and to smile and laugh and have fun through it all.  Yes, there are times when tears are shed, and they are necessary, it's not always smiles and laughter.  However, I have noted, that those with strong faith, are the ones who remain shining bright through all their pain.

So today watching the kids playing soccer, and wandering around the field, I too was thankful for distractions.  A random stranger passing by wouldn't know that the kids playing soccer come from broken homes and difficult situations.  They wouldn't know that some of these kids are neglected or abused.  I find it hard to believe myself.

To end this blog abruptly, and not at all in a fluid manner... I'm distracting myself right now from graduate school applications. At least - por lo menos - it's in a productive way!!  Let us all be thankful for that! :)  For the record, I just turned down an invitation to watch a friend play in a mariachi band..see...trying to be productive.

Champions!


lunchtime


The girl in red...pray for her.

ok....depressing. we lost the first game 8-3

cheering them on...fosh! (except that the kid may me say something for this photo, i don't remember what it was)

SHOOT OUT

one of the many photographers - took a self portrait

practicing alongside the field

kids took tons of photos - many appeared like this

sometimes when teams lose, they have to throw their shoes up in the ceiling. sad day







Stray dog...always hanging around


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank so much! I really appreciate your comment!

ALISON