Sunday, September 9, 2012

A good day - so good I didn't want it to end - so I didn't go to sleep

final product:  cookies with homemade dulce de leche
It is almost 4 a.m and I am currently sitting next to Devon.  We just finished making some cookies and dulce de leche, I also peeled a Kiwi - it was all delicious and we're excited to share the cookie goodness with people at church tomorrow.

I felt like updating the blog now while the day is still fresh in my mind - it was a beautiful day.

Today we went with the kids to a park that has a swimming pool.  In Bolivia, most people do not swim with a swimsuit - they use shorts and a t-shirt - and in some cases, the kids just swim in their underwear.  The kids didn't bring shorts because they didn't think they were ACTUALLY going to swim, since normally that is the case.  Are you kidding me?  Go to a pool and not swim!?  So with some coaxing we began with 5 swimmers.  Two of which were the youngest in the group and have never swam before.

The older boys came around after a while and decided that they wanted to try and swim as well.  None of them knew how to swim - how could they know without having lakes nearby nor trips to the pool on a regular basis? The first boy entered in next to me and slipped, his arms began to wail in every direction and for whatever reason - I thought he might be able to figure out how to stand up on his own - but when I saw the fear in his eyes, the possibility of him drowning became real - I rushed over and picked him up out of the water (as much as I could - I'm not THAT strong).   I had forgotten that once upon a time I took swim lessons - and that it took weeks to learn.

So there we were, myself and 3 of the oldest boys, in a shallow, kiddie pool.  They all wanted to learn how to swim - and that is when I wish that I was Erika, my older sister, the once college swimming, butterfly dominating, super swim instructor.  But I'm not Erika.  I TRIED, man did I try.  We went over kicking, keeping your mouth shut, trying to float, moving your arms - I even tried teaching the doggie paddle and failed.  At best, the boys learned how to keep their hands on the ground and kick around.  It got to the point where I would support their stomach and they would flail their arms and kick their legs while we motored around.  They were so determined.  Despite not learning how to swim - they progressed in their ability to go underwater and really enjoyed splashing around.

While at the park we received a call from missionary friends that they had bought tickets to a concert this evening and were no longer able to attend - would we like to go?  Would we like to go?  Hm - man I don't know - sounds kind of boring watching an amazing mexican christian singer connect with Bolivians in a soccer stadium with the stars - and heat lightening at night - right?  So naturally...we said yes.

Tonight we saw Jesus Adrian Romero in concert.

His lyrics are beautiful and he took time to explain where many of them came from.  In the middle - Jesus Adrian Romero took some time out to give some advice about knowing how to serve God and your will in life.  3 things, he said:
1.  Accept who you are.  God made you the way you are for a reason - and to try and change your personality and who you are - would be a tragic mistake because you could miss out on what God made you for.
2.  Focus on meeting needs around you rather than chasing your dreams.  Your dreams can often lead you astray and once you get to them, you'll find that it doesn't satisfy.  His career started by meeting the need of worship and continued by being asked to sing for different projects.  He didn't look for it - he was simply following the needs
3.  In regards to your gifts - and knowing how to use them to serve God.  Find something that you love to do, because God wouldn't give you a gift that you really don't enjoy - second - make sure you do it well - third - does it bless others? You can love sleep, and do it well, but if it doesn't do others any good, than realistically - not a gift. (dum dum dum - drum set sound)

So that is the story of today.  I will be waking up in 4 hours for church.  I will update again soon about the ministries I visited this past week.  Thank you again for - well - just being there and reading this stuff.

HAPPY SUNDAY

Alison Garza



Creating the dulce de leche
Dulce de Leche gone wrong


So we added water and it got better

I also  learned how to make fruit salad and cut like a Bolivian 

Remember that bug photo i posted?  Gabby stepped on it the next day with her mini crocs , and picked up the paper that was pointing to it

only in Bolivia


Ou ahhhh

See the married couple??  We saw two married couples there today


Stray dogs galore outside my door - look further and there is another set of 4 dogs

After swimming

hmmm... who am I writing letters to?  Grandma, do you like penguins? ;)

yay park!

Ok so after adding the photos - it is now 5:30 a.m.  Another sleepless night.  What is this!?  This is called living with poor judgment.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank so much! I really appreciate your comment!

ALISON